Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Take those shoes Off!


I was somewhat prepared for the shoes-off policy in Korean homes from watching such movies as the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Beverly Hills Ninja. While I was not shocked by the fact that this was custom in homes but it is also normal to take your shoes off at restaurants, schools, and even some stores. I can understand the importance of not tracking in the dirt, not to mention the snow and sleet which falls in most of Korea during the winter.

I have yet to experience a Korean winter, although from most peoples accounts, I hear it is pretty mild--especially here in the far south where I am. So, when we arrived, we were told to remove our shoes before entering out apartments. Then, we were scolded by our boss for not removing our shoes when we entered the school. They have a system of cubby cabinets for students/teachers to support the custom. Most students (and I) wear the cheap sandals that slip on. However, some of the teachers wear nice shoes that I can't distinguish from "outside shoes."

At first, I thought that the shoes policy was for cleanliness. However, many a student run outside keeping their "inside" sandals on when leaving the building and running right back into the building. So, the inside sandals are probably better described as school sandals. So why take off the shoes? I'll give you the answer I was given on each of my first days of school: "It is our custom." Can't argue with that.



Judgement: "Eh, its just different."

No comments:

Post a Comment