Saturday, February 25, 2012

On the issue of chopsticks


I must first begin with saying that I have my good days and I have my bad days. Today was a good day.

For me, any day where I don't drop food out of my chopsticks is a good day. I often have had more bad days than good days. However, the more I eat in Korea, the more I think the good days are going to wining out. I'm going to have a victory over this strange eastern utensil.

In the States, eating with chopsticks was a novelty. I'd do it with Chinese food or Vietnamese food, or the occasional sushi treat. I always had those wooden chopsticks and I was never very good at it.

In Korea, chopsticks are standard, and they are slick stainless steel. I was amazed at how difficult eating with smooth chopsticks could be. Wooden chopsticks provide grip which keeps food from slipping away. For the first couple of days, I have struggled with my grip, my hands hurt from the increased demand on the muscles, and I dropped a lot of food. A lot of food.

Although I spend meal times daily working on chopsticking food, I still drop a lot of food. My fellow teacher did actually compliment me on my chopsticks skills yesterday! I thought they were just placating me until I watched one of the Korean teachers. She's probably in her forties. She leaned over and said, "I think you use chopsticks well." I smiled, and watched her eat. She was much much better then me, but not perfect either. Oh well I guess this is going to be an uphill battle. 

While my chopstick skills are improving, there have been a couple things that have made life here easier.
  1. It is okay to "stab" some things with your chopsticks
  2. Not only is it okay to eat rice with a spoon, up until about twenty years ago, it was considered rude not to eat rice with a spoon
  3. If you drop something, pretend you meant to do it. This is much easier if the food lands on your plate. Pretend you are experimenting. I have seen many Korean put random side dishes in their soup.
  4. If you are having a "bad day" say this phrase with a big smile, a tilt of the head, and shrug of the shoulders, "Waygook saram ahyeahyo". It means "I'm a foreigner."


5 comments:

  1. Crazy how utensils alone can dictate a whole day! Pumped you're fighting through it though man, forget the fork and stick with the sticks!!!! Get that Korea man---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who'se the chick with the funky top/sports bra?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....but back to food...I have been experimenting with cooking Korean bibimbop noodle recipes, trying out the spicier noodle ones...kind of like Pad Thai recipes, all over the place, and good street food...any luck eating any and your thoughts?

    Whats the time difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, the Korean chick in the bra is sporting a product by Mr. Bra and when I saw the advertisement and thought it would be the perfect picture for my blog... so not too exciting. As far as food is concerned. I am just starting my culinary adventure with Korean food and there for my response will have to wait until I get a better handle on the food scene. Although I promise to keep the food updates coming on future posts.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete